Thursday, February 11, 2010

Campbell's Cream of Poblano Soup

Okay, I'll tell you right now. Don't bother looking for this soup at Safeway! I googled Campbell's Soup recipes, and apparently it doesn't exist.

However, we have found it. At Mega. And we invented dinner!

We had company from home a few weeks ago, and they discovered, and loved, the Chicken in Poblano Sauce served at one of our favourite restaurants. We wanted them to have the 'full Mexican experience' so of course we took them grocery shopping, to the Market and also to Mega, because we love the Market but there are just times when you need a really big grocery store. While we were cruising the aisles at Mega, Ann discovered the soup and decided to take a can to Canada to experiment with.

I picked up a can this week, just couldn't resist.

We have a lot planned for the next week and we decided that perhaps we should just stay home tonight and conserve our energy. It seemed like the perfect night to 'invent'.

Michael and I love to cook, and not to toot our horns or anything, we are pretty good at it. I made sure when we came down in November we brought the important ingredients I was afraid we wouldn't find here - Raspberry Vinegar for the best ever salad dressing (thanks to Christie), lemon juice (of course), and various and sundry herbs and spices. We've grown our own basil, oregano and rosemary and have learned to make-do with dried thyme (sigh).

But there are times when you just feel like taking it easy, or experimenting. Tonight seemed to be one of those evenings.

So, I made Chicken with Poblano Sauce (ala Sandie).

I roasted a Poblano pepper and a couple of cloves of garlic. After they were done, the peppers were peeled and the garlic was smashed (very theraputic, by the way). The chicken breasts were browned with just a few sliced onions, then the garlic and peppers were added, with corn niblets. Corn and poblano peppers just seem to go together. The secret ingredient was added (that would be the soup!) and everything just simmered away until we were ready to eat.

It wasn't the same as Manuelo's Poblano Chicken, but it was pretty darned good!

Thank you, Mr. Campbell.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't used the Campbell's but I I buy the Knorr in a box. And I replicated a meal I had in Guadalajara by making cornbread with corn and poblano pepper bits and then putting the poblano soup over it as "gravy." Delicious!

    ReplyDelete