Saturday, January 9, 2010

A First

We decided one night this week to just stay home and cook for ourselves for a change. We've been busy and have eaten out more than we normally do and it was time to deal with all the food we've been stockpiling in the fridge and freezer. The decision was made - pork tenderloin, sweet potatoes and an assortment of mixed veggies. However, as I was cruising the freezer, I came across the 3 bananas we've collected. We've found that bananas ripen very quickly here and there have been a few times (3 of them in fact!) when one banana out of the bunch just really needed to be turned into Banana Bread, so into the freezer it went, to wait for the perfect moment.

I enjoy baking, and find it to be relaxing, but it's just not something I've done since we arrived in Mazatlan. Mike loves Banana Bread, the bananas were taking up space in the freezer, it seemed like a meal that deserved some kind of dessert, it was just meant to be.

This Banana Bread was an adventure. I had flour, inherited from a friend, and baking soda, which was in the Casita when we got here, butter and salt. I 'borrowed' a teaspoon of vanilla from a neighbour, and bought a chocolate bar at the corner tienda to chop into chips. Mike just can't imagine Banana Bread without chocolate chips. I thought I was set until I started mixing everything together and realized that we had eaten the last egg. Back to the store to get an egg. One egg. I love Mexico.

I didn't have a loaf pan, so I used the casserole dish I bought for Brocolli Casserole, my contribution to Christmas dinner. Into the oven it went and we waited anxiously for 1/2 hour. The recipe said 1 hour but it was ready in 30 minutes. It could have been our oven, or the casserole dish!

My first attempt at baking in Mexico was a success! It was delicious. Unfortunately Mike loves Banana Bread and now that I've done this once .....

This is the recipe I used:

Banana Bread

3 - 4 bananas
1/3 c. melted butter
3/4 c sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 to 1 c chocolate chips

Mix butter into mashed banana. Mix in sugar, egg and vanilla. Sprinkle with baking soda and salt and mix. Add flour, mix. Add chocolate chips.

Bake 1 hour, 350F/175C

Before



and After!

5 comments:

  1. yummy, good job punting when you had to make do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got a bug in my bonnet yesterday to bake, as well. Made a five pound cranberry bread with almonds. (in my casserole bowl)Froze some and left some out for breakfasts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I freeze the bananas too but I always use them in smoothies... but now I want to bake something, too. and I think it needs chocolate in it!

    Nancy
    www.countdowntomexico.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that January is a great time for comfort food and Chocolate chip cookies have got to be one of the best! Lately Gary and have been making quite a few of these also.Today we are celebrating my stepson's 41st birthday with some. Here's the menu: stuffed peppers , mashed sweet potatoes,garden salad,San Francisco sour dough bread and Apple crisp with vanilla ice cream. yummy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog I enjoyed reaading

    ReplyDelete